Dear Bonnie Ridge Resident:
Natural gas, like all forms of energy and like many other products found in the home, is capable of doing damage and must be used properly. Here are some facts everyone should know about gas and gas operated equipment from a safety point of view. Gas accidents can be avoided when you follow these safety rules:
- Teach children that they are not to turn on or light appliances.
- Keep combustibles (curtains, paper, fluids, etc.) away from any open flame.
- Keep burning surface clean of dirt, match ends, grease, etc.
- If lighting is required, always light match first and hold it at point of lighting before you turn on gas.
- Repair/installation is a job for experts—never attempt to do it yourself.
- Use equipment for the job it was designed to do. For example, an oven should not be used to heat a room.
Gas appliances, equipment and transmission lines are safe and are constantly being tested and improved. However, it is possible through misuse or accident to have a gas leak. Your senses help to discover a gas leak:
- SMELL – A distinctive odor has been added to natural gas so that less than 1% of gas in the air can be detected.
- SIGHT – In some appliances you can see the flame and know it is working.
- TOUCH – With some appliances you can feel overheating or cold in the burner area which would indicate trouble.
- HEARING – If the flame is unusually noisy, it may not be working properly.
IF YOU DISCOVER A GAS LEAK
- OPEN WINDOWS AND DOORS TO DILUTE THE GAS TO A SAFE LEVEL.
- AVOID FLAME AND OPEARATING OF ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT. NEVER LIGHT A GAS APPLIANCE IF AN ODOR OF GAS IS PRESENT.
- CALL MAINTENANCE – (866) 202-9714
- IF ODOR IS EXTREMELY STRONG, EVACUATE THE BUILDING.
- HAVE QUALIFIED PERSON TURN GAS BACK ON AND RE-LIGHT APPLIANCES.
Remember, Natural gas is not dangerous, but its misuse is. Teach your children to respect gas, to play safe and to know what to do in an emergency. Don’t try to make your own repairs. Knowledge plus care equals safety.